The Duluth School Board is encouraging citizens to take part in an online survey and attend a community focus group as part of their work to identify a new superintendent for Duluth Public Schools.
“As of Wednesday over 1,100 surveys have come in and we’d love to see even more,” said Duluth Public Schools Board Chairperson Jill Lofald. “We also invite people to attend a community focus group on Monday to share their thoughts and ideas.”
The leadership profile will describe district strengths, challenges and goals along with the characteristics, abilities and experiences a superintendent will need to be successful in Duluth.
The Board’s search firm, BWP & Associates, is collecting information through online surveys, focus groups with community groups and organizations, and a walk-in focus group for the public. BWP will present the results to the Board at a public meeting Tuesday, January 28.
· Community Online Survey: Available now through noon Friday, here.
· Walk-in Community Focus Group: Monday, January 27 from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at Denfeld High School. Hosted by BWP & Associates.
· Duluth School Board Meeting, Search Update: Tuesday, January 28 at 4:30 p.m. at Historic Old Central High School 2nd Floor Board Room.
Timelines, links and other information related to Duluth’s Superintendent Search are available here.
Duluth School Board meeting schedules are available online and board meetings are streamed and archived online here.
Current Search Timeline: (Subject to updates)
· January 2020: Development of leadership profile. Presentation of final profile to the School Board in public meeting.
· January – March 2020: Advertising and recruiting.
· March 9 – 13, 2020: School Board public meeting to review and select candidates for initial interviews.
· March 16 – 20, 2020: School Board interviews 6-8 candidates in public meeting, narrows the field to two or three candidates.
· March 23 – 27, 2020: All day interview process for semi-finalists. Includes open forums available to staff, students, community members and a final School Board interview in a public meeting. School Board makes final selection.
· March 30 – April 3, 2020: Act on the new superintendent’s contract in public meeting. Announcement of new ISD 709 Superintendent.
· July 1, 2020: New superintendent takes office